Saturday, September 10, 2011

Russia: Week One



I am currently sitting a the airport in Moscow, Russia (at a little restaurant called Katie O'Connors . . . which kinda makes me feel like I'm in Ireland. lol). I am on my way from Perm to a town in the more southern Caucus mountain region of Russia.

This past week has found me in Perm at a conference/celebration of the 20th anniversary of the Russian Pentecostal Union. George Wood (the American AG superintendent) and David Wells (the Canadian AG superintendent) were invited by Bishop Edward (the Russian pentecotal superintendent) to speak at the celebration. The celebration was such a wonderful look back at the historical legacy for the church that has been laid by persecuted Russian believers past years and it was such a celebration of freedoms that are now present. The Spirit of God was so present and strong at the conference. One night, 100-200 men and women committed their lives for one year of service (next year) to reach un-reached Russian people groups. Then, last night, about 20 people gave their lives to Christ and joined the family of God! Phenomenal time!!

This trip has been so incredible so far that I just have to share some of the awesome ways God has answered the specific prayers we have been praying for to the Lord.

One of my requests during my first week while I have been in Perm has been that I would have a good grasp of the culture. I have noticed that my awareness of cultural cues has been so much more heightened than it typically is on trips. So, thank you for your prayers about that!! God has definitely answered!!

In addition, I had the opportunity to connect and chat with a family physician who is a missionary here about the future of medical/compassion ministries here in Russia. We were also able to make a contact through a missionary from YWAM who knows someone in Moscow who is involved in some medical outreaches. There is a possibility we will be able to meet with him or someone from his organization during the last week of September when I am back in Moscow.

Next week, I am going to be teaching about HIV/AIDS and sexually transmitted diseases, as well as sexual/emotional purity and abstinence. Because this is such a sensitive topic, I wanted to be very culturally sensitive. The Lord provided an opportunity for me to sit in on a session about sexuality that was taught in Russian at the conference I was just at in Perm. Through my translator, I was able to obtain a better understanding of how Russians within the church approach sexuality and how they feel about discussing it in the church. It was an invaluable time of learning for me and will really help me fine-tune my presentation next week. I considered this a tremendous answer to prayer!!

Thanks for your prayers!! Keep them coming!


Man on the left was persecuted for his faith under Soviet rule. Man in the middle was imprisoned for his faith. Bishop Edward on right.



With George Wood :)

2 comments:

Paula said...

Hey Jessica! Praying for you often . . . great to hear about what's happened so far! Charis sends you a hug.

A. Victoria said...

Wow! That sounds great! I will continue to pray and love reading your updates!